Saturday, May 10, 2014

Story of the three robbers

Once a man went through a thick forest. Three robbers stopped him on the way. They took away everything he had. The first robber tied him to a tree. The second robber said let's kill him here. The third robber said we have got what we needed, let him be, he will die on his own or survive as may be his fate.

And so off they went leaving the traveler behind.

Later the third robber returned he gave the poor traveler food and drink and when his strength was restore took him to the gates of the city.
Oh traveler you must travel from here to the city on your own said he.

But good sir you have between so kind. Come with me to the city leave those wicked people behind. A virtuous person like you surely will be forgiven. I have heard that a great king lives in these walls. He treats everyone equally.

Said the robber, oh man I cannot enter the gates of this city.

This city will burn me if I enter here.

For I like my brothers am a creature of the forest.

My work is done here. I must leave.

And off he went back.

(Originally narrated by Sri Ramakrishna)

No comments:

Post a Comment